UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Ingleton, Durham

Historical Description

Ingleton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham. The township lies 2½ miles N of Gain-ford station on the N.E.R., and 8 from Darlington. It has a post office under Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Gainford. Acreage, 847; population, 290. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1850. Population, 609. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Staindrop. The church was erected in 1844, and is in the Early English style. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. A reading-room was opened in 1889.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishStaindrop 
Poor Law unionTeesdale 
WardDarlington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ingleton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ingleton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL2
Post TownDarlington

Advertisement

Advertisement