Hutton Henry, Durham
Hutton Henry, a village and a township in Monk Hesleton parish, Durham. The village stands on an eminence, 1 mile from Wingate station on the N.E.E., and 2 miles SSW of Castle Eden, and commands a fine view of the surrounding country and the sea. It has a post office under Castle Eden station (E.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Castle Eden station. The township contains also the hamlet of Road Eidge. Acreage, 2016; population, 3151. There is a steam sawmill and an extensive colliery. The Hntton Henry Colliery Co. are lords'of the manor and sole landowners. There are a chapel of ease, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Monk Hesleton|
|Poor Law union||Easington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hutton Henry from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton-Henry)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Hutton Henry are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: