Hilton, a township in Ingleton ecclesiastical parish, Durham, 5½ miles SSW. of Bishop Auckland, and about 4 from Gainford station on the N.E.R. Post town, Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Gainford. Acreage, 1097; population, 91. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: