Hedworth, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1878 from Boldon, Monk Wearmouth, Whitburn, and Jarrow parishes, Durham, 3½ miles SSW of South Shields, and 1 mile from Brockley Whins station on the N.E.E. The township forms with the townships of Monkton and Jarrow a civil parish. Total area, 4314 acres, besides 522 of tidal water; population, 50, 858. [See JARROW and MONRTON.] Post town and money order office, Boldon Colliery; telegraph office, Sunderland. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 3267. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Crown and Bishop alternately. The church was erected in 1882, and is in the Decorated style. Heebies, a channel in the Hnmber, 2 miles E of Hull, E.R. Yorkshire. It has a floating light, visible at the distance of 5 miles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||South Shields|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hedworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hedworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Hedworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: