Hebburn on Tyne, Durham
Hebburn-on-Tyne, a growing town and an ecclesiastical parish formed from the civil parish of Jarrow, Durham. The town comprises Hebburn Quay, Hebburn Colliery, and Hebburn New Town, and is governed by a local board of twelve members, formed in 1873. It lies 4 miles SE of Gateshead, and 267 from London, with a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) There are also post and money order offices at Hebburn Colliery and Hebburn New Town. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1875, and in consequence of the growth of the town, two more parishes for ecclesiastical purposes have been formed since that date. The three parishes are St Cuthbert's, St Oswald's (Hebburn Colliery, formed in 1881), and St John's (Hebburn New Town, formed in 1885), with populations of 8003, 3790, and 4582 respectively. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Durham:-St Cuthbert, gross value, £320, in the gift of the Eector of Jarrow; St Oswald, gross value, £300; St John, net value, £300-all with residence, the latter two in the gift of the Crown and Bishop alternately. There are also Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a mechanics' institute with library, a reading-room, a Celtic Association, a drill hall and parade ground, and a new cemetery of 14 acres. The chief industries are connected with shipbuilding, chemical manufactures, lead-smelting, engineering and cement works, collieries, &c.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: