Harraton, a township in Bourn Moor parish, Durham. The township lies on the river Wear, 3 miles from Washington station on the N.E. R. Post town and money order office, Fatfield; telegraph office, Washington station. Acreage, 2997; population, 2808. The manor belongs to the Earl of Durham, and has his seat, Lambton Castle, on an eminence-adjacent to the Wear. Coal is worked.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Chester le Street|
|Poor Law union||Chester-le-Street|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harraton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harraton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Harraton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: