Great and Little Usworth, Durham
Usworth, Great and Little, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Washington parish, Durham, with a station on the main line of the N.E.R., 4 miles SE of Gateshead. There is a post office under Washington station (R.S.O.); money order office, Usworth Colliery; telegraph office, New Washington. Acreage, 2134; population, 4513. There are extensive collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £245 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Washington. The church, built in 1832, consists of nave, W porch, and bell-turret. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and the Durham Miners' Association Hall and Institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great and Little Usworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Usworth, Great and Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: