UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Great Lumley, Durham

Historical Description

Lumley, Great, a village and a township in Lumley ecclesiastical parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, 2 miles NW of Fence Houses railway station, and 2 SE of Chester-le-Street. and has a post office under Fence Houses; money order and telegraph office, Fence Houses. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 1644, of which 25 are water; population, 1927. The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. There are extensive collieries.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishChester le Street 
Poor Law unionChester-le-Street 
WardEasington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Lumley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Great Lumley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH3
Post TownChester Le Street

Advertisement

Advertisement