Great Burdon, Durham
Burdon, Great, a village and a township in Haughton-le-Skerne parish, Durham, near the Stockton railway, 2½ miles NE of Darlington, which is the post town. Acreage of township, 604; population, 104. The Dean and Chapter of Durham are the chief owners of the land and the mines.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Haughton le Skerne|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Burdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burdon, Great)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Burdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: