UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Gainford, Durham

Historical Description

Gainford, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham. The village stands on the river Tees, at the boundary with Yorkshire, and adjacent to the Darlington and Bamard Castle section of the N.E.R., 8 miles WNW of Darlington. It consists mainly of one wide street running parallel with the river, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington. There was a Roman station at Piercebridge, and many vestiges of it exist, and numerous Roman coins have been found. Acreage of township, 2346; population, 868; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1425. The parish contains also the townships of Cleatlam (half), Headlam, Langton, Morton-Tinmouth, Piercebridge, Summerhouse, and Bolam. The manor belonged anciently to the Baliols. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross yearly value, £801. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church was erected about the beginning of the 13th century, on the site of an earlier church built by Egfrid, Bishop of Lindisfarne; it has a tower and contains some monuments and brasses, and is in good condition, having been thoroughly restored in 1864-65, at a cost of over £3000. Bolam is a separate ecclesiastical district. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels, a Roman Catholic church, a literary institute, and some charities. Selaby Hall, Langton Grange, and Snow Hall are chief residences. Sir Samuel Garth, the author of the "Dispensary," was a native of Bolam. Gainford is mentioned by Sir Walter Scott in his "Rokeby":-'l He views sweet Winston's -woodland scene, And shares the dance on Gainford Green."

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Ecclesiastical parishGainford St. Mary 
Poor Law unionTeesdale 
WardDarlington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Gainford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Gainford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL2
Post TownDarlington

Advertisement

Advertisement