Frosterley, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in County Palatine, Durham, on the river Wear, and on the Weardale branch of the N.E.R., 3½ miles W of Wolsingham, with a station on the railway, and a post and money order offics ] under Darlington; telegraph office, Stanhope— Population, 1415. Hill End, White Kirkley, and Bollihope are hamlets in this parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net yearly value, £400 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, was built in 1869. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities, arising from houses and land, produce about £38 per annum, anA are applied under the Endowed Schools Act to educational purposes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Weardale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Frosterley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Frosterley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: