Framwellgate, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham St Oswald parish, Durham, on the W bank of the river Wear. There is a post office at Framwellgate Moor under Durham; money order and telegraph office, Durham. Acreage, 3955; population, 5556; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4528. There is a colliery at Framwellgate Moor. Aykley Heads, Newton Hall, and Dryburn Hall are chief residences in the neighbourhood. The living of St Cuthbert is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter. The church, erected in 1862, is a building in the Early English style. There is a chapel of ease at Framwellgate Moor erected in 1871, and also Wesleyan, New Connexion Methodist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and reading and recreation rooms.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: