Ferryhill, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham, 5½ miles E by N of Bishop Auckland. The village is a large and well-built place with a station on the N.E.R., was anciently called Feery, and gave name to a resident family. The township includes also a village called Low Spennymoor, which is inhabited partly by coal-miners, and partly by workmen employed at adjacent foundries, and it has a railway station with telegraph called Ferryhill Junction, a head post office called Ferryhill, and another post and money order office of Ferryhill village under Ferryhill. Acreage, 2434; population of the township, 3966; pf the ecclesiastical parish, 4473. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the township of Chilton, and was constituted in 1843. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £227 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is modern. A cemetery was made in 1887,.and there are Primitive Methodist chapels at Ferryhill and Low Spennymoor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Sedgefield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ferryhill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Ferryhill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: