UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Esh or Ash, Durham

Historical Description

Esh or Ash, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham. The village stands 2¼ miles SW of Witton Gilbert railway station, and 5 WNW of Durham, and has a post and money order office under Durham; telegraph office, Quebec. The township comprises 3145 acres; population, 6392; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4329. E&h Colliery is in this parish, and has a miners' institute, with reading, science, recreation rooms, and a library. There are two dissenting chapels. The miners and workmen employed at the Langley Park Colliery, which ia only a few yards over the boundary, all live in the parish. There is also a large colliery at Ushaw Moor. A Roman Catholic college, on a large scale, with about 300 students, is at Ushaw. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £316 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is good, and there is a Roman Catholic chapel. Langley Park is a new consecrated church (chapel of ease to Esh). See USHAW.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishLanchester 
Poor Law unionLanchester 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Esh or Ash from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Esh or Ash are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

Advertisement

Advertisement