Elwick Hall, Durham
Elwick Hall, a parish in Durham, adjacent to Elwick township, and containing the Beacon Hill, 4 miles W of Hartlepool town, and 4 from Castle Eden station on the N.E.R. Post town, Elwick, under Castle Eden station. Acreage, 44:40; population, 178. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is mainly Early English, contains an octagonal font and a sculpture of the Crucifixion, and is very good. Elwick Hall is the rectory house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elwick-Hall St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elwick Hall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elwick-Hall, or West Parish (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: