Elton, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham, near the Stockton and Darlington branch of the N.E.R., 3½ miles WSW of Stockton station. Post town, Stockton-on-Tees. Acreage, 1444; population, 106. Elton Hall, the seat of the Sutton family, is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £146 with residence. The church was restored in 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Elton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: