UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Edmondsley, Durham

Historical Description

Edmondsley, a village and a township in Sacriston parish, Durham, on an affluent of the river Wear, 2 miles from Stella Gill station on the N.E.R., and 5½ NW by N of Durham, with a post and money order office under Chester-le-Street; telegraph office, Sacriston. Acreage, 2313; population, 2741. The Earl of Durham is lord of the manor. There are stone quarries, and coal is largely worked. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishChester le Street 
Poor Law unionChester-le-Street 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Edmondsley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Edmondsley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH7
Post TownDurham

Advertisement

Advertisement