Edmondbyers or Edmundbyers, Durham
Edmondbyers or Edmundbyers, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham. The township lies near the river Derwent and the boundary with Northumberland, 4 miles from Burnhill Junction on the N.E.R., and QJ NNW of Wal-singham, and has a post office under Blackhill (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Blanchland. The parish comprises 5102 acres, and includes the hamlet of Rough-side. Population, 252. The surface is hilly, and the rocks are rich in lead ore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £270 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was restored in 1859. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edmondbyers St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Weardale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edmondbyers or Edmundbyers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Edmondbyers (St. Edmund))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: