Ebchester, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham. The township lies on Watling Street, the Consett railway, and the river Derwent, at the boundary with Northumberland, 11½ miles SW by W of Gateshead, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), and a railway station. Acreage, 600; population, 382. A monastery was founded here before 660 by Ebba, afterwards Abbess of Coldingham, and was destroyed by the Danes. Ebchester was known as the Derventio of the Notitia, and afterwards as Vindomara, and it retains traces of Watling Street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £338 with residence. The church stands within an ancient camp where many Roman remains have been found. The communion table rests on an ancient altar slab marked with the three crosses. The font, according to Bishop Westcott, is formed from a Roman altar. A perfect specimen of the latter is at the SW porch. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Lanchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ebchester from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Ebchester are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: