East Rainton, Durham
Rainton, East, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durham. The township lies 2 miles NE of Leamside railway station, and 5 NE by N of Durham. It has a post office under Fence Houses; money order and telegraph office, West Rainton. Acreage, 1091; population, 1510. Most of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive coal mines. The ecclesiastical parish comprises part of the township and the whole of Moorsley. Population, 1986. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £288 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1866, is in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, and a bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a reading-room provided for the use of the miners.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Houghton le Spring|
|Poor Law union||Houghton-le-Spring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Rainton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rainton, East)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of East Rainton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: