Dalton le Dale, Durham
Dalton-le-Dale, a township and a parish in Durham. The township lies near the coast, 1 mile NE by E of Murton station on the N.E.R., and 6½ S of Sunderland. Acreage, 812; population, 134. The parish contains the townships of Dalton-le-Dale, East Murton, and Coldhesledon. Post town, Sunderland; money order and telegraph office, Murton Colliery. Population, 5868. The living is a vicarage and rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £447 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The present parish church, the Holy Trinity, is in the township of Murton. The original church, St Andrew's, in Dalton-le-Dale township, is used as a chapel of ease.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dalton-Le-Dale St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Easington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dalton le Dale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dalton-Le-Dale (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: