Coxhoe, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, in Kelloe parish, Durham. The township includes the hamlet of East Hetton, and lies 5¼ miles SSE of Durham, has two stations on the N.E.R. (Coxhoe and Coxhoe Bridge), and a head post office. Acreage, 1058; population of the township, 3133; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2179. Coal and lime are extensively worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300. Patrons, the Crown and the Bishop alternately. There are two Methodist chapels, a reading-room, collieries, stone quarries, and lime works.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coxhoe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Coxhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: