KELTON, a village, chiefly in the parish of Caerlaverock and partly in that of Dumfries, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Dumfries; containing 154 inhabitants. This village lies on the eastern bank of the river Nith, and on the high road from Gleaneaple-Quay to Dumfries. It has a small harbour, in which the water rises fifteen feet at spring tides, and which affords anchorage for vessels of ninety tons' burthen at all times. A considerable trade was formerly carried on in the exportation of grain and potatoes; but the prosperity of the place has latterly been checked by the more central position and increasing traffic of neighbouring towns, and it is likely to decay.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis