Cowpen or Coopen Bewley, Durham
Cowpen or Coopen-Bewley, a township in Billingham parish, Durham, 2 miles from Billingham station on the N.E.R. at the estuary of the Tees, 4¼ miles NE by N of Stockton" upon-Tees. Post town, money order, and telegraph office, Stockton-on-Tees. Area (including Salthoime), 2835 acres; population, 1051. The Dean and Chapter of Durham are lords of the manor and owners of all the land except Salthoime, a large farm which belongs to the governors of Durham University.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Stockton-Upon-Tees|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cowpen or Coopen Bewley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cowpen-Bewley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Cowpen or Coopen Bewley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: