JOHNSHAVEN, a village, in the parish of Benholme, county of Kincardine, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Bervie; containing 1172 inhabitants. This place, which comprises the principal part of the population of the parish, is chiefly inhabited by fishermen and weavers, whose houses are small and irregularly built. It is situated on the shore of the German Ocean, close to a small harbour which is frequented in summer by coal sloops, and occasionally by vessels freighted with lime. Off the coast, fish are taught, consisting for the most part of cod, haddocks, and turbot.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis