Coundon, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham. The township lies adjacent to the Stockton railway, 2 miles ESE of Bishop-Auckland, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bishop-Auckland. Acreage of township, 794; population, 3635; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4229. The parish was constituted in 1842, and comprises the townships of Coundon, Westerton, and Windleston. Windle-stone Hall and Howlish Hall are the chief residences. The inhabitants are engaged in the extensive collieries near the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £460 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is good, and is a building in the Gothic style erected in 1872; and there are Wesleyan, and Primitive and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coundon from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Coundon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: