Invertiel or Westbridge, Fifeshire
INVERTIEL, or Westbridge, for a time a quoad sacra parish, partly in the parish of Abbotshall, and partly in that of Kinghorn, district of Kirkcaldy, county of Fife, 1 mile (S. W. by S.) from Kirkcaldy; containing 1465 inhabitants. This district was estimated to comprise 1000 acres, of which about 700 are in tillage, 200 in pasture, and the remainder under plantation. The substratum consists chiefly of brown sandstone of the coal formation; and coal was for some time wrought, but no mines are at present in operation. About 700 persons are employed in hand-loom weaving; and there is a flax-spinning mill, in which 100 hands are engaged. The Firth of Forth lies on the south of the parish, and the public road between Edinburgh and Dundee runs close by the village. Invertiel was within the presbytery of Kirkcaldy and synod of Fife, and the patronage was vested in the heads of families being communicants: the stipend of the minister was £80, arising from seat-rents and collections. The church, a plain structure, was erected in 1836-7, by subscription, aided by a grant of £272 from the Church-Extension fund: its erection removed, in a great measure, the inconvenience felt in the parish of Kinghorn from want of accommodation and pastoral attendance. The members of the Free Church have now possession of it, and the village is included within the limits of the Free Church presbytery of Kirkcaldy and synod of Fife. The number of sittings in the building is 726. Sir Michael Scott, a celebrated statesman and philosopher of the thirteenth century, one of the most learned men of his age, and called by the people of his times "the Wizard", was born, and resided, at Balwearie, in this district: he was knighted by Alexander II., and died in 1296.