Cornsay, a township in Satley ecclesiastical parish, Durham, 6½ miles NE of Wolsingham, and 3 from Lanchester station on the N.E.R. Post town, Durham; money order office, Cornsay Colliery; telegraph office, Quebec. The area is now 3079 acres under an Order of 25 March, 1887, of which 800 are moorland; population, 2275. Viscount Boyne is lord of the manor. There are almshouses here-for six men and six women.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Lanchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cornsay from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Cornsay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: