INVERBROTHOCK, a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of St. Vigean's, county of Forfar; containing 5195 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the small river Brothock, forms the principal suburb of the town of Arbroath, and participates largely in manufactures. The spinning of hemp and flax gives employment to more than 1500 of the inhabitants; and the yarn produced from the several mills is partly exported, and partly woven. About 300 persons are employed in weaving the coarser kinds of linen, for sacking, and for sail-cloth for the supply of shipping. The terminus of the Arbroath and Forfar railway is within this district; and facility of communication is also afforded by the Dundee and Arbroath railway, the great north road, and various other roads. Inverbrothock church was erected in 1828, at an expense of about £2000, raised by subscription, towards which the town council of Arbroath and the principal heritors largely contributed; it is a neat structure containing 1230 sittings. The minister, who is chosen by the proprietors of the pews, has a stipend of £150, with an allowance of £20 for communion elements. There are places of worship for members of the Free Church, Original Seceders, and Wesleyans. A handsome schoolroom was erected in the year 1842, by subscription, aided by a grant from government; it is capable of receiving 250 scholars, and the school is supported wholly by the fees. There is a Sabbath-school library, containing 480 volumes; also a theological library of 400 volumes. See the articles on ARBROATH, and ST. VIGEAN'S.