Inver, Ross and Cromarty
INVER, a village, in the parish of Tain, county of Ross and Cromarty, 4½ miles (E. by N.) from Tain; containing 211 inhabitants. This village is situated at the eastern extremity of the parish, on the shore of Dornoch Firth; and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the fishery, for which it forms the principal station. The fish taken here are haddock, flounders, cod, whiting, and skate, which are found in great abundance, for the supply of the adjacent district; and during the season, herrings are also plentiful. A school for the instruction of the children of the fishermen, who speak chiefly the Gaelic language, is supported in the village by the Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis