INSH, for a time a quoad sacra parish, formed of part of the parish of Kingussie, and a small part of that of Alvie, in the county of Inverness; containing 613 inhabitants, of whom 88 are in the village of Insh, 7 miles (N. E.) from Pitmain. This place was anciently a vicarage, united to the rectory of Kingussie; aad under act of the General Assembly in 1833, it was again declared a distinct parish, ecclesiastically, which privilege, however, it afterwards ceased to possess. It is situated on the south bank of the Spey; and when the river swells, a branch of it flows on each side of a small hill whereon the church stands: hence the name of Insh, signifying "an island". The Spey passes here through a fine lake called Loch Insh, about a mile and a half in length and nearly the same in breadth; and near its eastern margin is the mansion-house of Invereshie, where is a ferry across the Spey. Ecclesiastically Insh is in the presbytery of Abernethy and synod of Moray, and the patronage is vested in the Crown: the stipend of the minister is £120, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £2. 10. per annum. The church is dedicated to St. Ewan. A school, situated at the village of Insh, is supported by the Education committee of the General Assembly. A considerable increase in the population of this district took place within the decennial period between the late and the preceding census.