ILLARY, an island, in the parish of North Uist, county of Inverness; containing 80 inhabitants. It is one of the Hebrides, lying westward of North Uist; and is three miles in length, and in most places one mile and a half in breadth. The soil is partly sandy, and partly a black loam, yielding tolerable crops of barley, and some pasture for cattle. Illary is of insular appearance only at the flow of the tide.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis