UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hutchesontown, Lanarkshire

Historical Description

HUTCHESONTOWN, a small district, including a town, in the parish of Govan, barony of Gorbals, within the jurisdiction of Glasgow, county of Lanark; containing about 5000 inhabitants. This place, which forms one of the principal suburbs of the city of Glasgow, is situated to the south of the river Clyde, on land purchased in 1647 by the corporation of Hutcheson's Hospital. The town was commenced in 1794, and consists of several spacious and well-formed streets, intersecting each other at right angles; the houses are generally from three to four stories in height, and are respectably built of stone, and roofed with slate. The whole is well lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water. There was facility of communication with the city provided by a bridge over the Clyde, which was scarcely completed when it was swept away by an inundation of the river, in 1795. The loss of this bridge greatly retarded the progress of the town; and it was not till the year 1829 that the foundation stone of a new one, on the same site, was laid by the preceptor of the hospital. The bridge is a handsome structure of five arches, from a design by Mr. Robert Stevenson, civil engineer; it is 406 feet in length, and thirty-six feet wide within the parapets.

A large portion of the population are employed in the cotton manufacture, weaving both by power and hand looms; and in different branches of the linen trade. A very extensive factory for weaving stripes and checks for furniture, various fabrics for women's dresses, shirtings, and other articles, was established here by Messrs. Somerville and sons. There are also some foundries and iron-works in the district, the most important of which are those of Mr. W. Dixon, who has erected several hot-blast furnaces on the principle of Neilson's patent, in which about 4000 tons of pig-iron are annually produced. The greater portion of the town was included within the late ecclesiastical district of Hutchesontown, formed under an act of the General Assembly, and attached to the parish of Gorbals. The church is a plain but elegant structure, erected in 1839, at a cost of £2600, by the Church-Building Society, and containing more than 1000 sittings: it is now rented by a Free Church congregation. The members of the United Presbyterian Church have also a place of worship. A school-house, capable of receiving 650 children, has been built by subscription, aided by a grant from government; instruction is afforded upon very moderate terms. There are likewise several Sunday schools for children of both sexes.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis