HURLFORD, a village, in the parish of Riccarton, district of Kyle, county of Ayr, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Kilmarnock; containing 371 inhabitants. This place is seated on the south bank of the river Irvine, over which is a good and substantial bridge, that has lately undergone extensive alteration and repair. The population is chiefly engaged in the coal-works in operation in the parish. The great high-road from Ayr to Edinburgh intersects the village. There is a school, the master of which has a free house and garden.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis