High and Low Coniscliffe, Durham
Coniscliffe, High and Low, two townships and a parish in Durham. High Coniscliffe township lies on the river Tees, and on the Roman road to Binchester, 1 mile from Piercebridge station on a branch of the N.E.R., and 4½ miles W of Darlington, and has a post office under Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Piercebridge. Acreage, 2139; population, 349. A Roman station seems to have been here, and Roman relics, including coins and an altar, have been found. Low" Coniscliffe township lies also on the Tees, about a mile SE of High Coniscliffe, and includes the hamlet of Carlbury. Acreage, 1039; population, 149. The entire parish comprises 3178 acres; population, 498. The Coniscliffe Fells in the north-are romantic eminences, with slate quarries and copper ore. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value½ £210 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is Early English, has a tall spire, and commands a. fine prospect. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coniscliffe St. Edwin|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High and Low Coniscliffe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Coniscliffe (St. Edwin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: