HOPEMAN, a village, in the parish of Duffus, county of Elgin, 2¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Burgh-Head; containing 588 inhabitants. This village, also called Hopeman Harbour, is situated on the shore of the Moray Firth, and between the ports of Burgh-Head and Lossiemouth. It is of some little importance as the seat of a considerable fishery, but though regularly built, has not been remarkable hitherto for a cleanly appearance. In 1840 a new and excellent harbour was completed here, having seventeen and a half feet of water at spring tides, and five feet at low water, with an easy entrance of thirty-six feet, at right angles to the coast, leading from the outer to the inner harbour, the whole perfectly sheltered. Salmon, herrings, and white-fish are taken off this part of the coast. In the village is a small school.