UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Cockerton, Durham

Historical Description

Cockerton, a village and a township in Darlington parish, Durham, on the Cockerbeck, a branch of the river Skerne, 1 mile NW of Darlington. Part of the township is included in the borough of Darlington. It has a post and money order office under Darlington; telegraph office, Darlington, Acreage, 1812; population, 3108. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. There are Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school endowed with £130 per annum. Carmel House is occupied as a convent by an order of Carmelite or Theresian nuns; their chapel is richly decorated.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishDarlington 
Poor Law unionDarlington 
WardDarlington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cockerton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Cockerton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyDarlington
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL3
Post TownDarlington

Advertisement

Advertisement