Hinton Waldrist, Berkshire
Hinton Waldrist or Hinton St Wallery, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands near the river Isis, at the boundary with Oxford, 5½ miles NNW from Wantage Road station on the G.W.R., and 6½ ENE from Great Faringdon, and was once a market-town. The parish contains also the hamlet of Duxford. It has a post office under Far-ingdon; money order office, Longworth; telegraph office, Buckland. Acreage, 2005 of land and 12 of water; population, 301. The property and the manor belong to the Symonds family. Hinton Manor House is an ancient building, situated so as to command beautiful views of the surrounding country. It occupies the site of an old Norman house, of which some remains still exist. Traces of an ancient camp are near Windmill Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £235. The church is cruciform, very ancient, and in very mixed styles of architecture, chiefly Early English, and has a W tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinton-Waldrist St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Farringdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret is a cruciform building of local stone and colitic limestone, in the Early English and Late Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch, clock and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells; the whole of the windows, except three, are stained; in the south porch is a stoup; the reredos is of marble, and includes a representation of "The Lord's Supper:" there are 209 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Hinton Waldrist was in Faringdon Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wantage Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinton Waldrist from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hinton-Waldrist (St. Margaret))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
Hinton Manor house is near the church and has a view of the Cotswold hills and Oxfordshire downs on the north and of the White Horse range on the south; the house is of considerable antiquity, and occupies the site of a Norman "domus defensabilis," which commanded the ford over the river Isis at Duxford, a hamlet of Hinton; the only ancient remains now existing are the moat and the keep; in Norman times the manor belonged to the family of St. Walery, whence it was called Hinton Walerys, now corrupted into "Waldrist:"
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hinton Waldrist are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.