HIGHTAE, a village, in the parish of Lochmaben, county of Dumfries, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Lockerbie; containing 436 inhabitants. It is situated in the eastern part of the parish, and a short distance from the river Annan, which separates Lochmaben from the parish of Dryfesdale. This is one of the villages denominated the "Four Towns", the lands around which being portions of the original royal domains granted by Robert Bruce in small plots to the domestic servants of Lochmaben Castle, are still held without any written title other than a transference, by a tenant, of his right to a successor. The holm ground attached to these villages, of which Hightae is the largest, is uncommonly rich and fertile. Loch Hightae, in the vicinity, is a fine lake of fifty-two acres, abounding in perch, pike, trout, bream, roach, and other fish. The Cameronians have a place of worship, built in 1796, originally for a Relief congregation; and a school is endowed with the interest of £100, left by Mr. James Richardson in 1726. See LOCHMABEN.