HIETON, a village, in the parish of Roxburgh, district of Kelso, county of Roxburgh, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Kelso; containing 214 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated on the turnpike-road leading from Kelso to Jedburgh, and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in agriculture. The surrounding scenery is varied, and the adjacent lands in a good state of cultivation. There is a parochial school here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis