UK Genealogy Archives logo

Cocken, Durham

Historical Description

Cocken, a township in West Rainton parish, Durham, on the river Wear, 3½ miles NNE of Durham, and 1 from Leam-side station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 465; population, 176. Post town, Fence Houses; money order and telegraph office, West Rainton. There is a coal mine. Cocken Hall, now the seat of the Heath family, formerly a Carmelite nunnery, is a romantically situated residence, almost surrounded by the Wear, over which a bridge has been recently built to supersede a rather dangerous ford. Mrs Mompesson, the heroic wife of the rector of Eyam during the Great Plague, was born here.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishHoughton le Spring 
Poor Law unionChester-le-Street 
WardEasington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cocken from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: