HAUGH-MILL, a village, in that part of the parish of Markinch which formed the quoad sacra parish of Milton of Balgonie, county of Fife; containing 170 inhabitants. This village has risen since the erection of some mills, in 1794, for the spinning of flax and tow into canvass yarn, for which purpose they continued to be employed till 1832, when the present proprietor introduced a complete set of new machinery, for the spinning of the finer yarns for home-made linens. In 1835, he greatly augmented the number of spindles, now amounting to 2000. The machinery is propelled by two water-wheels of forty-horse power; and from twenty-five to thirty tons of flax are consumed monthly, imported chiefly from Holland, Belgium, France, Archangel, Riga, and St. Petersburg. In 1836, a spacious bleachfield was established in connexion with the works; and these together afford employment to about 185 persons, many of whom live in cottages built upon the premises.