UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hailes-Quarry, Edinburghshire

Historical Description

HAILES-QUARRY, a village, in the parish of Colinton, county of Edinburgh, ¾ of a mile (N. W. by W.) from Colinton; containing 158 inhabitants. It is situated in the south-eastern part of the parish, on the road from Edinburgh to Currie; and has the adjunct to its name from a considerable stone-quarry, the material of which is of a slaty quality, and divides easily into thin portions, excellent for pavements, lobbies, and steps. The quarry is wrought to a great depth, and is very productive. In one year, 1825, when building in Edinburgh was pushed to some extent, it yielded its proprietor, the late Sir Thomas Gibson Carmichael, Bart., a rent of £9000. Hailes was anciently the name of the parish.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis