HAGGS, for a time a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Denny, county of Stirling, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Denny; containing 1905 inhabitants, of whom 431 are in the village. It occupied the southern portion of the parish of Denny, from which it was separated for ecclesiastical purposes under act of the General Assembly, in 1840. The village, which is situated on the road to Glasgow, consists of several houses of two stories, roofed with slate, some detached and pleasing cottages, and a neat row of small houses near the coal-works, at the eastern extremity of which is a large building appropriated as a storehouse. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries in this part of Denny, and in the various manufactures in the neighbourhood. Facility for the conveyance of the produce of the mines is afforded by the Forth and Clyde canal, and by railways. The district is not remarkable for any beauty, or in an agricultural point of view: the surface is destitute of timber, and the scenery consequently of dreary aspect; the soil is generally thin and cold, and the system of husbandry in a very imperfect state. Haggs is ecclesiastically in the presbytery of Stirling, synod of Perth and Stirling. The church, which was opened in 1840, was erected chiefly through the instrumentality and exertions of the Rev. John Dempster, minister of Denny, and the cooperation and assistance of William Forbes, Esq., of Callendar, M.P. for the county; it is a handsome and substantial structure, containing 700 sittings. The minister, who is chosen by the male communicants, derives his stipend from seat-rents and contributions of the congregation, no permanent endowment having been established. A school in the village is supported by the General Assembly.