Cassop cum Quarrington, Durham
Cassop-cum-Quarrington, a scattered parish and township in Durham. The parish lies on the Hartlepool railway, about 6 miles SE of the city of Durham. It has a post and money order office of the name of Cassop Colliery under Trimdon Grange (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Thornley. The township extends beyond the limits of the ecclesiastical parish taking in the colliery and village of Twisdale. Acreage, 3259; population of township, 1192; of the ecclesiastical parish, 850. The parish comprises the villages of Cassop Colliery, Old Cassop, Quarrington Hill, Old Quarrington, Heugh Hall, and Bowburn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop of Durham alternately. The church was built in 1868. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist ctiapels at Cassop and Quarrington Hill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cassop cum Quarrington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: