Carlton, a village and a township in Redmarshall parish, Durham, 4 miles NW of Stockton-upon-Tees, with a station on the N.E.R. Post town, Stockton. Acreage, 1501; population, 217.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Red Marshall|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Carlton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: