UK Genealogy Archives logo

Grahamstown, Renfrewshire

Historical Description

GRAHAMSTOWN, a manufacturing village, in the parish of Neilston, Upper ward of the county of Renfrew, 3 miles distant (S. S. E.) from the town of Paisley; containing 706 inhabitants. This village is indebted for its origin to the introduction of the cotton manufacture into the district about the year 1790, and to the erection of an extensive spinning-mill in 1801, by Mr. Graham, from whom the village takes its name. It is neatly built, and principally inhabited by persons employed in the cotton-works.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis