Byers Green, Durham
Byers-Green, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham. The township lies on the river Wear,;½ miles NNE of Bishop-Auckland, and has a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Spennymoor. Acreage, 1069; population, 2346; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3505. The parish was constituted in 1845, and embraces the township of Newfield, the larger part of that of Binchester, and nearly all that of Byers-Green. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. There are two Methodist chapels, a church institute, a library, and reading-rooms. The inhabitants are almost wholly employed in coal mining.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Byers Green from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Byers Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: