GOREBRIDGE, a village, in the parish of Temple, county of Edinburgh, 3 miles (N. E.) from Temple; containing 240 inhabitants. It is situated in a detached portion of the parish between the parishes of Borthwick and Newbattle, and derives its name from a bridge over the Gore burn, a tributary to the South Esk. A considerable increase in its population has latterly taken place, caused by the establishment of the manufacture of gunpowder, mills for which were built at Stobhill, in the vicinity of the village, in the year 1794, these being the first mills of the kind erected in Scotland. The Hawick line of railway passes by Gorebridge, where it has a station, twelve miles distant from the Edinburgh terminus. The inhabitants generally attend the church at Borthwick, which is somewhat nearer than that of Temple. There is a place of worship in the village in connexion with the United Presbyterian Synod. Two schools are held, and here is a good subscription library of about 800 volumes.