Burnhope, a township partly in the ecclesiastical parish of Holmside, Durham. It is 2½ miles from Lanchester station on the N.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Durham; telegraph office, Lanchester. Tliere are collieries here.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Burnhope are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: